New Year

It's that time of year when we are all pressured to set resolutions and big goals for the new year. But after some thinking, and then a little more thinking, (oh come on you know I like over think everything) I'd like to spend 2013 celebrating ordinary achievements. I do have some goals too, but I'd like to really enjoy the life that is going on around me, more. I was reminded by a good friend that I used to be the person who had small goals but went after them nontheless. Now, I put everyone else first. I'd like to find some balance in there. And that is one of my goals. But mostly, I want to enjoy the lives around me and enjoy my life. What are the ordinary moments? Saying yes to the gumball machine, or bouncy ball machine. Taking the time to listen to their stories, to really listen, even if its about the boy in class who can make fart noises with his armpit, its their story. I will celebrate the rare occasion when my 9-year-old grabs my hand when we are out shopping or wherever. I will smile at those who don't smile, because lets be honest, we all have our battles and sometimes a simple, genuine smile, makes all the difference. I will pause for the moments of beauty that are free every day, the sunsets and on the rare occasion I'm out and about early enough, the sunrises. The butterfly on its journey on the playground. And enjoy them witht the same enthusiasm the girls do, I can learn so much from them. I will stop prefacing sentences with "when I lose weight", and instead live life now, not "someday." I will say "I'm sorry" even when its hard to say. I will reach over and take my husband's hand, because he's there and be thankful he is. I will get up five minutes earlier to ensure there is no more morning rush. I will find time for me, for working out, for reading and for writing. I have some ideas for our family and improving the choices we make and thankfully they are very receptive and willing to work together. So it may be ordinary, it may be simple, but I like life like that. Less screen time and more we time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parker's turning 3!

Here we go

Setting boundaries