Where did summer go?

Would someone please tell me where the heck this summer wandered off to? It seems just like I was watching my family blow stuff up and we were celebrating our country. Now, we are almost in the middle of August and starting a new school year!

I am pretty sure our summer got sucked up by those triple digit temperatures we dealt with for like 3 weeks?! Maybe thats where it went. Either way, it has flown by!

I would like to say I got my projects completed. But no I didn't. I got a few done, but our house right now, looks like a hurricane or an F-3 tornado hit it. The girls room, sigh, is what it is. However, 7 am will come early when I wake them up to get to work on it.

I would also like to say I got a lot of writing done. But no, I didn't.

I can say however, we enjoyed the summer of swimming, playing, and more swimming. The girls got quite a bit accomplished in their list of things they wanted to do. Big P passed her swim lessons with flying colors and Little P learned how to ride her bike sans training wheels. We spent a lot of time at the ball diamonds, once the rainouts were done. We spent a lot of time, and I mean a lot, by the Dodds pool. And we spent a lot of time just enjoying each other. So no, the projects still need some love, but I can gratefully say that the girls won't need to say the same. Of course they will always need love, but you get my point.

I head back a week from today. And I am excited about being part of the school year from the start. I got hired full time last October, so I missed the back to school madness and excitement. The girls start two days after me, and I'm pretty sure Kris is doing a happy dance. We messed with his routine. ;)

The P's are excited too. Big P got the teacher she really wanted, though I think she would have been happy with any of the 3. Little P was sad, her kindergarten teacher got bumped up to first this year and she just assumed she was going to be in her class again. That bottom lip came out at enrollment and I am pretty sure she broke her kindergarten teacher's heart. But we seemed to have changed her mind some and now she is a little more excited for her new teacher. I have to admit, I was a tad disappointed too. We've had Mrs. J for two years, one for Big P and the second for Little P. But she has become a great friend and co-worker so she's still stuck with the Dodds family!

Our road to buying our first home is finally hitting a mile marker that allows us to see the path. We have some choices to make, whether to buy outright or build, but we know now that our dream is now becoming reality and while its stressful, it is exciting. I can't wait to slap some color on the walls. Living with white walls and "apartment" carpet can only happen for so long! And I'd love to see the look of accomplishment on Kris' face when we walk through our own front door! Super excited and can't wait for the next step! Sadly, there are those out there who would like to spoil this occasion, but those people, are now being granted the balcony seats in our lives. The ones who want to celebrate our successes get the front row ones!

I am making a list of goals for this school year and one of them is to add some reason to our hecticness. Does that even make sense? But last year, we seemed to just go with the madness that became our lives. School, work, dance, a shift here and a shift there, sports, girl scouts, dinner, homework, reading, bedtime, quality time with Higbee, family events, more work...it was chaotic and ridiculous. I remember sitting in the girls' dance class Tuesday after Tuesday mad because I wasn't making better use of our time. Given, I went from part-time working as I wanted as a sub, to wow its Friday and I start full-time Monday. So a lot of that time was playing catch up. Now, we will make the most of every day. Mommy will get up at 5:15 am to spend some time on me, working out. Lunches and clothes picked out each night before, dance bags packed in car Sunday night for Mondays almost two hours of dance studio time. After school bike rides and walking dog instead of rushing home to do dinner. You get the idea I hope. Life is only as rushed as we make it, I want the girls to not be stressed, or ignored. And I am nipping this whole mindless eating in front of the tv thing in the bud!

Because before we know it, Summer 2012 will be here as quickly as Summer 2011 went by!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parker's turning 3!

Here we go

Setting boundaries