Operation Best

2015 is here.
Much like last year, we were asked to chose a word rather than a resolution to guide our year.
Each of us have selected a word. Kris is Better. Piper is Courageous. Parker is Shine. Mine is Best.

So I will do my best in all I do this year. So far, I've done my best at staying in PJ"s all day and watching Friends from the beginning on Netflix. We have all been extremely worn down and tired. The girls both have colds that seem to zonk all energy. So we've spent the first two days of this year in PJ's and watching movies, shows etc. Kris came home this morning and went straight to bed, after fighting a big fire downtown. I know it wasn't just physical exhaustion that sent him to bed. Fighting fires has taken a whole new meaning now.

Speaking of fire. Our fire still haunts this house. I know we are at the 10 month mark, but being home is strange. It is a house, it isn't quite home yet. So part of Operation Best, is finding my best way to make our house a home again. I am going to start by filling the walls with happy pictures. Pictures of the beach, of Disney, of Higbee, of softball, of funny moments. All in hopes we can find our home again. Kris has talked about selling our house and relocating whether here locally or far away. At first, that sounds fantastic, but the emptiness we feel here will follow until we address it. So, for now, I am going to try my best to keep us here so we can make this home again.

I know our view of things we put in our home is definitely different, as they are just, things. Home is where my family is. Where my kids' giggles fill the hallways. Where we laugh together, cry together and come together. That matters more than things. It will not be easy as we continue to go through the stages of mourning. Maybe being home makes it more real, can't deny what is right in front of you. Maybe that is the hardest part for Kris and the girls. At grandma and grandpa's, we could separate ourselves some. Here it is head on. And getting through the holidays without Higbee, without the things we had accumulated to celebrate, it was hard. It was numbing. Oddly, that is the thing we feel or don't feel the most. Numbness. Time to feel again. To laugh again. To live again. Once again, things like this start with me. That can be overwhelming if I let it. But no, today, today I will give it my best, because my family deserves my best. So they can be their best.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parker's turning 3!

Here we go

Setting boundaries