Being a mommy...MAMA

I have attempted many jobs in my life. I have been the ice cream scooper at Baskin Robbins and built footlong sandwiches long before Jared discovered their nutritional value. I've waited tables (ok attempted to wait tables) and have supervised 60+ kids at a summer day camp. I have shot sports footage for a newscast and have produced, directed and assistant-directed a 2 hour morning show. But the one job that seems to have the best benefits is that of a mommy. It has no sick time, no vacation time and I think the only promise for a 401K is that maybe someday these children will make me a grandma. I have to say that being a mommy or as the P's call me "mama" is the best job with the most benefits. I've gotten to carry these precious little people and felt their kicks and hiccups inside of me. I was one of the first people they ever laid eyes on and got to hold their warm, wiggly little bodies before anyone else. I've gotten to get up at 2 in the morning to their hunger or wet cries and had the joy of getting to soothe them back to sleep. I've gotten to hear their first laughs, seen their first smiles and have my heart ache each time I've had to leave to go to work etc. I've gotten to play silly games, make silly faces and even sillier sounds to entertain children that we didn't want to cry to wake up a sleeping daddy, baby sister or interrupt a service at church. I've learned how to hold a baby on my hip, a sippy cup, a purse, a diaper bag, car keys and an umbrella all at once while attempting to open a car door. I've learned which little girl likes to have their face rubbed, the spot right between their eyebrows and down the bridge of their nose to fall asleep. I've also learned which little girl would just like to hold my hand to fall asleep after a bad dream. I have learned that merely just reading a book is boring and in order to entertain a wheezing 2-year-old, you have to actually act out the characters in order to get her to smile and relax after a breathing treatment. I've learned that slamming a door will not wake a baby but trying to sneak across a squeaky floorboard at 10:35 pm certainly will. I've learned that there is nothing more beautiful to hear than a little girl laughing and giggling with her little sister or her daddy. I've learned that rolly pollys are actually really neat little bugs but are not good in the dryer. I've learned that flip flops and patio deck stairs are not a good combination for a 4-year-old's beautiful head. I've learned that the point of bath time isn't making kiddos clean but seeing how much water you can actually get outside the bathtub! I've learned that its ok to go to work with food and sticky finger messes, because hey it happens. I've learned that children hear what we don't say and store away what we do for later use. I've learned that life is worth living and joy is as simple as having little fingers wrap in yours to cross the parking lot. I've learned so much more than I can possibly ever blog but this is a good start....thank you Big P and Little P for making our lives complete and thank you Kris for giving me the opportunity to fall in love not once but three times....

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a beautiful post. I totally understand it all too!!
-Brandy
flygirl135 said…
Oh how true ALL of that is!! All the priceless moments that I pray I NEVER forget!

Popular posts from this blog

Parker's turning 3!

Here we go

Setting boundaries